Monday, November 9, 2009

Basketball daze....

The crowd is quiet as it's teams star lines up at the free throw line. All of the pressure is resting on my shoulders. Bending my knees I launch the shot and... swoosh. It goes right through. It has been years since I forced myself on the basketball court. To play the game that is. I love to referee though. Best seat in the house and hey I can get a bit of exercise in the process, but playing has long since left me.
I played lots in my early years. In fact that is what got Jill into crafts early in our marriage. We lived on capitol hill and our ward played ball 3 times a week at 5 in the morning. My shot was off slightly, but I loved to go and play. Sometimes playing defense is not all that it is cracked up to be in those pick up games and sleep became lots more important to me than scoring my 2 to 4 points a day. Jill complained that she did not have anything to do of her own. So I went down to "Zims" on state street and bought a small tool box filled with toll paints. Wala.... she was now crafty. (I still have that tool box and paints stashed in the basement gathering dust)
Anyways we moved around and I played on and off with ward and sometimes a rec team, but nothing as serious as in the past. In our current house I played once a week with the guys, but you know it is fun to touch the ball once in a while and with the Leiftings and Shawn Singleton as our ward's scorers it was just not in the cards. I slowly lost interest and turned my attention to blowing the whistle. I enjoy it!
Saturday I had the shot going, swoosh, swoosh. I could feel it. Deep down I was thinking of a unretirement back into the ward basketball scene. So I am lining up for my second lightning game of the day. First shot comes off the backboard and bounces a bit high. I jump.....and my calf POPS. I could feel a huge knot developing, needless to say I missed the rebound and was put out by the jump shooter behind me (I think it was my aunt). I go and sit down, must be just a cramp. So that game ends and I line up for another shot. I can hobble a bit, my turn comes and swoosh, I am feeling it, but guess what? I cannot even walk to go and get the ball. the knot is getting bigger. I am out, Chris takes my place and I have let my team down. I guess my comeback will have to wait another year....where is that fluffy pillow for the couch? IR here I come.

PS. my endorsement deal for old man vitamin pills fell through too. Does anyone else want to kick me while I am down?

3 comments:

Heather said...

All this over a cramp?

Julie said...

You crack me up....too bad I couldn't have been there to watch you choke. I am sorry I missed it. I do hope that your cramps get better.

Alverson girls said...

LOL!!!!!!!( You and Jeremy can warm the bench together)