Saturday, November 14, 2009

Saturday Football

While some of you stayed tucked into your nice warm houses on this snowy day and drank hot chocolate. I stood in temperatures fluttering from 29 to 32 degrees and snow literally flying around me. I volunteered to help with the little league state championships at Kennedy Junior High School (hosted by Hunter district).

This was a great time and I am glad I got to go and help. It all started at 6:30 on this Saturday morning. I arrived at the school were my two oldest roam the halls weekly expecting to be the first one there, but no! There were lots of people and I could tell they had been there for quite a while. When I go to help I cannot stand standing. So I thrust in my sickle, what ever that means, and tired to help out. I never realized what it takes to run a Saturday's worth of little league football until now. The cones, first down markers and ropes to keep the screaming fans back don't just show up at the field. The lines had been painted earlier in the week so we proceeded to put up signs and the other necessities. No I did not break any tackles carrying the scoreboards across the field, but my arms are sore from the work out.

For the first while I sat at the team check in tent. I was a big shot! The teams and coaches had to come to me to be eligible to play in their championship game. I wanted to kick somebody out, but I was calm and wished everyone luck. I ran into an old fast pitch softball teammate, Mike Lorange, he was coaching a Brighton team. After an hour or so the snack bar decided they were running out of cups. Ta Da, I jumped into action and went to the store. I do alright at the grocery store, but sometimes I forget things without a list so I was worried, and when Dan kept calling me and adding to the list, I was worried. (I cleaned out Smiths of Styrofoam cups)That is when I saw the parking issue. Cars were parked all the way down to Holiday Oil. Lots of people!

I was then issued the parking post, attention all parkers... RED CURB means NO PARKING! The fire department did not like that the fire truck would not fit into the parking lot for some reason. I got yelled at a few times and watched 5 West Valley officers cruise the streets and rack up the parking tickets. Is it legal to park in front of someones mail box? Who knows, I do have to say that I got cold. The wind was blowing so hard and my back got plastered with snow. After a while I started to look around and I got the laugh of the day. Officer Valencia 2 other cops and approximately 6 Hunter board members chasing after 2 dogs on the field. That was funny.

I was disappointed that Chris' team did not play today, but it was still a great time to go and help. I know of at least 2 Hunter teams that won state championships. Congrats to ALL of the teams today. It was a great time. WOOF, WOOF!!!!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

You were a great help. Thanks for coming and suffering with us in the cold and snow.

Yes, the people chasing after the dogs was funny.

Sharron said...

you are the best, you are the one people can count on, may you be blessed forever and ever, thanks for your example. Got t love you Greg.