Monday, April 27, 2009

CRUSHES!

This last weekend I experienced something that I am not sure if I am ready for. I think I figured out that my son has a crush. Jill has threatened me not to ever tease my kids about the puppy love situations they find themselves in. I have sat back and noticed Kate changing her clothes when some of Chris' friends are coming over or spending extra time on her hair yada, yada. Saturday I told Kate that we would go to a movie if there was time. She invited her best friend and what happens to be Kolbie's best friend. Chris just got done with pracitce and I figured he would hurry into some ratty clothes and we would be off. He told me to go and pick up the girls' friends and come back and get him. When I pulled in and honked he came out a gussied up. His hair was done, in fact I think he had some cologne on.
I can remember some of my crushes growing up. I was not much of a dater. High School days were usually spent along the wall at the stomps and sometimes asking a girl I would not get turned down by. Lisa was my first big crush. She was a senior when I was a freshman. I always got butterflies if I thought she might come to my ball game or see me in the hall. Shaunna and Lynne were others that I can remember. Me being the big Duff and scardy cat, I never asked them on a date. Not sure if they would have ever said yes, but I sure dreamed. Now that I look back I was always so nervous just to be around them. Don't we do weird things. Just being a friend with someone of the opposite sex would bring about the normal butterflies. Did you ever drive by that person's home to see if the light was on? or call their phone number and hang up right before they answer? I almost felt like a PI trying to find out as much about that person without them finding out you were snooping. Shaunna lived right around the corner from my best friend so I would not have to go out of my way to go by her house, and if she happened to catch me I had a good alibi.
I wish my kids luck in their new adventure, and I am glad I am not back in their shoes. It will be fun to watch from a safe distance. (Like sitting between them at the movie theater!)

1 comment:

The Harding Hive said...

I love it! That is hilarious and totally OK by me. I think Chris is about the cutest thing ever!!!