Sunday, November 16, 2008

Down Goes Frasier!!!!

It was looking promising coming out of the corner. There I was the prepared primary teacher, all 5' 9' and 195 pounds of me. I had gotten up early and read through everything. All the years of training were going to pay off. I know the Book of Mormon and love the story of Moroni and his diligence to preserve the record of his father. I can teach about that with my eyes closed. Sacrament meeting ended and I went out to the car to grab the metal can so the kids can "engrave" on the plates. Sort of a illustration of what it was like in Moroni's time. I stopped at the library and got the chalk and I was headed off to the room for the match.

And in this corner all 10,5 foot nothings chattering and leaning back on the chairs in room # ? (not sure which room we are in). Each with his own personality and background they were ready for the test. The Elders quorum presidents son, a son of a high councilor, primary president, and so on and so on. They would not lay down and die without a fight.

Ding... and round one begins, I start off a little cautious and let them banter a bit. Each has his story he wants to share of the week past, but little do I know they have already gotten chalk and began the battle, writing on the board and erasing all but on part of their little game. Attack from behind is the plan and I stave off that attack with the quiet for the opening prayer.

Ding, Ding... round 2 and I am able to get them to open the scriptures to Mormon 8 and we begin to read, but then it starts. See I am a male teacher in primary and have to keep the door open at all times. That makes everyone that walks by part of our class. Girls are the worst because 12 year old boys don't just look, they have got to get louder hoping the girl target will look this way. Oh no, the deacons advisor checks in on them and I am sunk. Now it is a game to show me that I have no control. Round 2 goes to the boys... all tied up 1 to 1.

Ding, Ding.... round 3 is where I am going to take control. We are doing well, I have decided that we are not reading or proceeding with the lesson until everyone is listening, and after 6 tries we finally get scripture #1 read. I am going to knock them down, I cannot be beat. Round 3 goes to me, the big bad teacher

Ding, Ding... round #4 and now I am in trouble. Ev starts to giggle at everything and the leaning back on the chairs gets dangerous. I ask the boys to all fold up the chairs and stand up. Which I think will work, but they come back hard and by the time I look up they are all laying on the floor laughing and making fun of anyone that walks by in the hall. My lesson is a disaster and I am woozy to the point of a knock out. I go down in defeat with my head held high. My consolation is that next year they move on into Sunday School and next years teacher stop me in the hall to ask how "good" these boys are. I am still laughing uncontrollably, licking my wounds from a day.... in the 12 year old boys Primary class.

---- My ode to Jeremy(Where at thou now?????)

4 comments:

Heather said...

You definitely have a roudy group of boys. There isn't anyone else that I would rather have teaching my son!!

Aly said...

You know you are the best teacher we have ever had for that class...but....(if only I could type really small and whisper like now)...you can ask for a different class next year, BUT you don't want to do that, right?!

Anonymous said...

Too bad my son wasn't there!!! You are an amazing teacher, Greg!!!

Lynne said...

Greg - Shauna just told me she didn't even know you had a reunion this summer! (and her parents still live in the same house) She says to say hello and would be interested in hearing about it etc. Can you give me your e-mail or I can give you hers...whatever just let me know.