Sunday, February 8, 2009

Book Review


Finished a very good book today. Sometimes I get in the mood to read self help and business idea books. Such as "Raving Fans" or "Who moved my cheese". "Fish" falls in that category. I found it very helpful and an enjoyable quick read. At the end of the book there is this a quote, it summarizes the book. " As you enter this place of work please choose to make today a great day. Your colleagues, customers, team members, and you yourself will be thankful. Find ways to play. We can be serious about our work without being serious about ourselves. Stay focused in order to be present when your customers and team members most need you. And you should feel you energy lapsing, try this surefire remedy: Find someone who needs a helping hand, a word of support, or a good ear- and make their day."
The book begins by telling the story of a woman that has the privilege of working in what she calls the toxic waste dump. She visits a fish market in Seattle where she learns the highlighted concepts. CHOOSE your daily attitude. We learn the in all reality we choose what mood we will be in. PLAY at work, make it fun and enjoyable. We spend a large percentage of our lives at work it might as well be enjoyable. BE PRESENT in everything we do, how often are we thinking of the chores or bills when our kids are telling us about their day, or when the customer is explaining a problem. Finally MAKE THEIR DAY, can we in someway reach out to someone that needs help in some way.
I liked the theme of the book and I know that I can use it's teachings not only at work, but at home in my everyday life. I tried it a little today. I made eye contact with 3 people at church and asked them how things are going. That is not something I can usually do. I would much rather stick to my comfort zone and be to myself.

No comments: