Friday, February 6, 2009


Tonight we had the debate that has pestered my family through the ages. Seems as though when ever we want to go out to eat it is a battle because each of us has a finicky stomach. They get that from Jill because I will eat anything. Anyways, the battle comes down to this: where do we go that serves the best quality food.
Tonight the debate centered around the all important burger. Who is it that makes the most enjoyable and finger licking one in town? Every place is eligible for this discussion and I personally believe that each burger has it's place. Starting with McDonalds. This is the low end of the spectrum. A burger thrown together and sometimes not cooked all the way just cannot make it to the gourmet page, but that said if it were not for McD's I know some expectant mothers that would have starved. Besides what do we expect from a clown? I personally believe Burger King is a step above in the fast food chain. I like the Whopper with cheese. Maybe it is the thought of flame broiling. Around here Ab's is not to bad. Wendys is stashed between McD's and BK. The top on my list has got the Five Guys. My mouth is watering right now. Of course this is were we ended up again tonight. Picking everything you want slapped on the piece of meat has it's advantages. I feel the Crown Burger/Apollo fall just short of the best burger in town.
Now feel free to post in the comments what you think I would be glad to hear. Maybe it will awaken my taste buds and force me to try someplace different.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Greg,

I mostly agree with your ratings, but what about the standard DQ burger? I rate them over BK any day! I think I would rate Sonic just above the Arches and below Wendy's. You have any Jack-in-the-box's down there? They make a mean one. I rate them just below DQ.

As far as local fare goes, they have one here in Boise called Big Jud's that is quite good. They have another location in Ashton, Idaho (its the original location) if you are in that neck of the woods some day - try the Big Jud challenge - its a one pound burger with one pound of tots and a large drink. Consume it in an hour and its free.
Scott

Aly said...

Haven't been there! Chuck says Jake has been there and thought that it was good but still loves Ab's...

Aly said...

P.S. I really love Hire's buns...do the five guys have good bread??

Alverson girls said...

I have to vote Crown!! (I've never had Five Guys) We haven't found a good buger joint in Spokane yet and I'm missing Crown and so many other good places that are in Salt Lake.

The Wibergs said...

We tried that place for the first time tonight. Mmmm!!! (although a bit pricey--we dropped $45 on 5 burgers, a hotdog, 4 fries (which were HUGE servings!), and drinks. YOUCH!!! But oh SO YUMMY! Much better than Abs.

Wade told me we're getting an In-n-Out Burger soon too, but I think they're just overrated. Got good t shirts, but the food's not all that.

Eric, Mindy and Kacey said...

Greg, If you are going to rate only those burgers bought on the street from a restauraunt then you really limit yourself to a quality burger! Mine are the best... by far. Anytime you come up to Thermopolis you'll see.

Just rating the burger joints Fudruckers is the best. They are similar to Big Jud's in Idaho. They also serve the one pounder with fries and soda as well... however having finished many of those in MUCH less than an hour I have never recieived a my meal on the house. I would like them to make the pound and a half burger! That would be just right.

Well, on your quest for burgers, good luck and remember what I said.

Eric