Monday, January 26, 2009

Funny thing happened at court today!


I had to go to court today and it was sort of comical. I was asked to be a witness for the defendant in a case of customer vs. the mechanical shop that damaged his car. First off, I have never had to go to court before. Usually a written estimate stands for itself and the estimator does not need to be present, but hey they paid me $18 to come and say what I saw. I looked at this Audi on January 23, 2008. Just over 1 year ago. I am supposed to remember everything I said and what I saw..... RIGHT! I cannot remember what I ate for a snack 5 minutes ago, let alone a car that I saw 1 year and 4 days ago. Besides every car is the same to me. They all have damage that I need to fix. Then there are the stories, I have heard them all. He pulled out in front of me, or she was not looking or how about the guy that hit a refrigerator at 65 mph on the freeway. (The refrigerator was stopped, the car was going 65, now that would be a story!)
I guess this Audi fell off the lift and damaged under the passengers door. They did not dispute that the shop damaged the car, it was just what damage. Anyway, I think I hurt the shop because I told them what I estimated I stand behind, but I was not there when the car fell off the rack so I do not know what was damaged by the shop. ( I guess the car hit the worker on the head when it fell, the judge asked if he was Ok, I almost started laughing.)
So, I am under oath and testifying and the judge asks for a conference and asks me to stay in the witness chair. I am am a little nervous at this point and then the bailiff comes walking over to me. He leans over and tells me that the court secretary told him to tell me that that we have her car now and she is going to pick it up after court. FUNNY! The judge then proceeds to ask the customer if he would take his car to us and let us fix it if the mechanic would pay for it. He said no, but that was funny too. I was excused after I testified, but I am sure the shop lost again. ( this was an appeal). Remind me not to eat the fish and chips at sizzler next time because the whole time my stomach was just brewing. I made it through the court case without getting arrested or strip searched, although the guard at the door was sort of hot so that would have been ok. And I did have fun at court today!

2 comments:

Randy and Melanie Cox Family said...

You're funny! I love reading your postings. So you lost two customers today? The guy that took you to court in the first place and the court secretary.

Aly said...

I hope the "hot" guard at the door was a woman;)