Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Welcome mat is out!!



We have the wonderful opportunity of having a mouse or a family of mice at the shop. It is such the great thing to host this family on a regular basis. They have enjoyed our hospitality. In fact the candy bowl has been raided several times and lately these mice have been great at playing games with us. Most definitely they like the get the food out of the trap without setting it off game.

This leads us back to a few years ago when we thought we had a mouse in the shop. This mouse scared us to death. He would only come in on the weekends and he ate an entire bag of sunflower seeds off the top of one of the guys' tool boxes. (destroyed the bag) We decided we needed to catch the beast when we noticed sunflower seeds on the top of the engine of a car one time. It was almost like he had himself dinner and then fell asleep in the warmest spot he could find. Turns out this was no mouse at all, he was Rocky the squirrel. We bought a large animal trap and got him one Friday afternoon. The stupid squirrel was trying to eat through the bars on the trap and he tried to bite us. We did the only right thing and transported him to "body shop alley" on 3rd west and 9th south and let him out over there. It was by the train tracks so he would have plenty of body shop sunflower seeds and places to sleep by the train yard.

Anyways our current mouse or mice are smart. I set an ancient trap and the dang thing took the bread and did not set off the trap. So we went out and bought some of the sticky traps. I told the guys I would catch them dead before they could in the sticky traps and so the competition was on. Each of us got 2 traps. Me with my traditional whack em dead traps and them each with the fangdango new dealies. The next morning I had 1 dead mouse, but one of the sticky traps was gone. That stupid mouse had carried the trap some 6 feet away and basically eaten itself out. We have gone a week without another trapping. So today at NPS we found a rather large trap. I posted it in a good location, almost broke my finger by the way. Tomorrow I know that we will find a dead mouse.
Tina hates mice and she cleans savagely everywhere we notice the appearance of mice. I was walking around the office pointing out every corner that a mouse could have been. She certainly has the cleanest desk in the shop, and I know that those mice like the copy machine and fax machine (they need to be cleaned).

3 comments:

Greg said...

No mouse this morning!

The Harding Hive said...

Funny Greg! We tried the sticky traps at my mom's house growing up. We kept it in our coat closet because that is where we found the evidence of a mouse being there. We never did catch the mouse, but.... my little sister went on a date once and halfway through the date, realized that the sticky mouse trap was stuck to her coat. She was so embarassed and ever since then, we've used regular traps.

Sharron said...

When ever I here of a mouse in the house, I remember when I was a little girl, we lived next to my grandparents, they had a farm, there were always mice around. My Aunt Ann was so scard of mice if you would ever say "there goes a mouse he just ran under the chair", she would jump to the highest spot she could find, one time I saw her on the dinner room table screaming her head off.