Sunday, March 29, 2009

Directors Cuts

Have you experienced the new multi medium of watching DVDs? Not sure if this phenomenon has reached your household or not, but at the James home we have progressed out of the 80's and into the DVD craze. (We have so many DVDs they have become paperweights of my home). The small silver and sometimes colored discs can be found in cases, correct or not, and simply stacked around the multiple players and TVs in the home. Finding the correct case can be a chore worse that matching socks. It seems as though the cases and discs magically disappear. The drier eats the socks, the player must eat the case or visa versa.
Anyways, we have ventured into the directors cut. They match the actors and directors talking and giving us insight into the filming (or at least we hope). Tonight we watched Twilight, and it sparked a conversation of it's poorness (is that a word). The actors spent the two hours watching the movie and giggling. Really they gave us no insight into the movie and left me disgusted. What is the best directors cut you have ever seen? For me it was to the movie "Singles Ward" in this cut they point out the mistakes idiocies and stupid things in the back ground. I like to hear how the scenes were set up and what it took. I watched the directors cut to "According to Jim" the other day and that was fun. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but fun.
What fits your best? Let me know. I would like to watch, and I am sure Jill could spend one of her sleepless nights checking it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We threw away all of our cases and keep our dvds in a binder. My kids can't seem to put them away, and I was tired of having a huge stack.

I will have to check out the director's cut. I think I have watched one on Veggies Tales, though. And that was amusing.

Jill said...

The best directors cuts I've seen are Singles Ward, and Pride and Predijuce.

Twilight was HORRIBLE because:

1-Robert Pattison DOES NOT sound like Edward when he's not pretending to be Edward. Normally I really like accents, but not this time.

2-They don't tell you anything other than: "It was so cold they day we shoot this scene, we were miserable." Well, duh. You shoot the movie in the Pacific Northwest -- a location not known for it's warm and sunny temps (of course if these people has actually read the book, they could have prepared themselves.)

3-All they did was giggle the whole time.

It was truly painful, please don't waste your time.