Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vocabulary Test

It is that time of year and so you all need to get out your pencil and paper to take the test. No, I am not talking about the end of the term at school, although the homework lately has been killing me and that is only for third grade. I know that I have been through it some 30 years ago, but it seems to get harder and harder. No... this is not the school vocabulary test it is that time of year again for you to sharpen your pencils and brackets and take the NCAA March Madness vocabulary test.
#1 Bracketology ----- Hmm that is a good first word. The study of something, the study of brackets... where was that class in high school? Oh it was at my locker. That was where I kept the schools bookie operation in check. Do they have a gamblers anonymous for teenagers? Your bracket should be filled out and narrowed down to 16 teams by now. I stand at 9 missed games so far. That is not bad. Bracketology is more than the study of brackets it is a religion. One that I am sure will not lead me to the promised land.
#2 No hitter----- Can you say for the tournament? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity unless your team goes to bat with it's knees shaking so violently the Mesquite police department is placed on alert. Our team was no hit for 3 1/2 games last weekend. At least I got parts of a tan in the third base coaching box. If I could have worn the speedo it would have been great tanning weather. What does this have to do with the vocab test. ??? Not sure, but do the teachers have rhyme or reason either?
#3 Big Dance ---- The barn dance held nightly at the bishops home... No wait that is not this big dance. Since no Utah team is still playing this could be an invitation only affair. I feel like our state is considered the ugly sister at this point. I certainly expect the the music to be cranked up again tomorrow night. What will be playing????
#4 Cinderella --- She forgot her slipper this year. Seeing that Arizona is the closest thing to it I think it hardly applies. Maybe my prince will come and I can be the Cinderella story this year. (I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit). Where is the underdog? Maybe in the World Baseball Classic???
#5 Final Four --- Hmm not a hard definition to come up with. Something to do with 4 being final. Now this is not the final people left on your home teaching list or the final 4 hours before the month is up. It could be the final four drops of gasoline as you coast into the gas station. Or even the final four pieces of bread in the bread bag. (2 sandwiches left and who gets them). No this is what March is all about. So hang on... March Madness is all around. (Do you think it strange that "March Madness" ends in April, or that the October classic now goes until November.) Something is wrong here.
Did you get them all right? If not just stick around I am sure that the definition will change by next tournament. Happy Basketball viewing to all and to all a good night!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

i fail! now a 3rd grade vocabulary test, i could pass. i could teach. (oh yeah, i do! :) hee hee)

and if it seems 3rd grade homework is getting harder, it is because it is! the bar keeps getting raised. (at the same time, money is getting cut, time is not being increased and many kids come less prepared than they did 30 years ago. some days i feel like my job is way too hard. but most of the time i love it.)

Heather said...

You are way too funny. I love the no hitter. We had one of those games and lost 30 to 0. Gotta love it.