Sunday, August 24, 2008

Depression

The last few weeks I have been on the down side. Jill suffers from depression in the winter time when it gets dark early and the skies seem very grey. I think I get it when things stay stuck the same day in and day out. The end of summer is that time. Baseball finishes up and there is that dead time before school starts. The last few weeks have been tough. It does not help that my office has been ripped out from under me and things at work are a total caos. Financially it has been tough, and with Jill's health issues we are fighting through. I find myself wondering when it will turn around. When will things change? Can I ever expect to be happy?
Jill reads a feminist mormon blog once in a while that had an interesting post the other day. A lady posted a "why me" blog. She pays her tithing and does the whole routine, church, activities, etc. She wondered when she would ever feel like life gave back to her. The bills are piling up etc. I thought alot about that. Life is too short to feel sorry for myself.
I "hit a pedestrian" this week and boy was I mad. West Valley Police had a sting set up on 3900 S with a cross walk. I almost got hit from behind trying to stop at it and still got a ticket. BUT, who cares I have a good life. I am relatively a good person and have a good family. I have more blessings than I can count. Just like that song says "Count your many belssings name them one by one".
I have a great wife. She may not be homemaker of the year and I do lots of chores around the house, but I love her. Beisdes shouldn't I be doing my part at home. Jill still excites me and I look forward to the good days she has. Jill is a very smart girl and I am glad I got her.
Chris is the son I always wanted. Last night we went to a bees game together. I think he knows more about baseball than most adults. He is a good looking kid and will some day grow into a giant. I worry about him starting junior high, but I know the Lord will help protect him from evil.
Kate is so gorgeous, I worry about someone taking her from me. I know that she is growing into a young women and am glad she is getting the values she needs to help her.
Kolbie has the personality that I lack. She has that flare for the dramatic. She keeps us laughing constantly.
I have a great job and work with great people. I have a home to live in and food to eat.
I am not trying to boast. Just trying to count, I may be a little down in the dumps sometimes, but I know that it will turn around. For sometime I was very disappointed about being in the primary, but lately I have found a niche. Those boys need teachers like Jeremy and I. I think we are having fun with it and reaching out to some boys that will be future leaders. Over time my spirits will perk up. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
--- Greg

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm sure you and Jeremy are doing a great job with those boys. Whenever I walk by, they seem so engaged and interested in the lesson. (sometimes I can hear your class from down the hall... I love it! I love seeing kids excited about what they are learning.)

Sorry that you've been down in the dumps. Hope you start to feel better. We all have much to be grateful for, but at times it is hard to remember that. Good for you for taking the time to do that.

Aly said...

You and Jeremy are doing an AMAZING job with those boys! We (and the Lord) and the boys parents can't thank you enough!! You really are making a difference for them that they will hold onto for a lifetime!

I read a saying the other day that I really like...

"Life is not about waiting for the the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain"

You are doing just that. You really do have a wonderful family to come home to each night:)