Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday is a special day a day to.....

Jill's mom and I have been discussing the oddity of riding in the car. Sometimes it is fun to give the keys to someone else and sit in the passengers seat. With Jill's Dad being sick and Jill taking pain medication Barbara and I have been doing all of the driving. It is awful to always sit on the left side of the car. I find myself daydreaming as I drive and I need to remind myself to pay attention. Do you always drive? What percent of males do all of the driving in their families? These are interesting questions. Louie from work always drives. He cannot sit in the passengers seat. I asked him once if his wife has ever driven. Once she did and it scared him to death. He has driven ever since. Jill does not like it when she drives, she says I make her nervous. Most of the time I see the man driving. Gordy, my neighbor and coworker, never drives his wife's car. In fact one night I asked him for a ride to a viewing and his wife drove us. Interesting..... does driving give us more power or make us better? I do not know. I do not believe the women drivers are necessarily worse drivers, they just drive more often. Driving more often will always lead to more accidents.
Louie had a VW bug painted bright green with yellow stripes. It was a fun car. One day he wanted to go to lunch and it had been snowing. I told him I was not going to push his car. Well he tried to make a right turn through a snow bank and got stuck. I turned to him and said I am not pushing. He got out and I drove from the passengers seat. I think driving the car is sort of a push for power. Men need to feel that power. We are weak and looking to impress our mates or lure in our mates. Our driving prowess marks us for the powerful men we are.
Next time you drive look around, there are interesting things to see. 5400 west by our church there are 3 hawks living in the trees. I have you noticed the 2 big st Bernard dogs on the shortcut from 5400 to 5600 west. Have you noticed the pheasants that live in the tomato patch off 4100 south? Jill and I did a paper route a couple of years ago and there was a neighborhood that had a for sale sign that traveled. Every morning it was in front of someone Else's house. It is fun to notice odd things that go on. This is my word of advice, drive all you want, but take the time to look around. This world is a fun place.

Chris is signed up for girls gym. You go girl!

2 comments:

Aly said...

Chuck and I often trade off with who is driving. It depends on who is ready first or what tasks need to be accomplished on the drive. If it is a long drive then he drives (I don't like the freeway much). If he needs to do work stuff (on the laptop or blackberry) then I drive.

I haven't noticed any of those things, but I will now:)

How did Chris end up in girls gym?! I assume they will change that for him?

Jenny said...

I almost never drive if we're going somewhere together. I'd rather be the passenger. But I know Janene (Fordham) almost always drives.

I haven't noticed any of those things either. I'm going to have to look.