Monday, October 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Chris!








October 7 is tomorrow and this day in our family carries a little bit of significance. Our oldest turns 13 years old. We now have a teenager in the James family. I think he has been in the teen age cycle for some time. These two pictures are my favorite that we have of him. They were taken a couple of years ago. He is now taller than I am and weighs about 150 pounds. I can still take him if I want to though, but I am sure that time is going to be past soon. Chris has been the son I always wanted. I had a good friend named Chris, I do not know if we named him after my friend, but in a way we did. From his youngest days he would sit with me and watch sports. Early in the spring of 1996 I was taking him to Buzz games wrapped up in a blanket and he would sit through the entire game on my lap. He played Hockey for a time, his first lesson he dropped his glove on the ice. Hockey gloves do not bend like regular gloves. He put both gloves on, but then could not pick up the stick. Then he took a glove off and picked up the stick, of course then he could not get the glove on. It was hilarious.

Chris did not fall far from the tree. He has played fantasy football with me for 3 years now. He wanted to be a BYU fan, but after one trip to a Ute football game he was converted. I am proud of all of his achievements. He was on the safety patrol, completes his first cross country season tomorrow and wants to start wrestling. I am glad he works hard at what he likes. I know that I have caught pitches from him more than I thought I ever would. Chris is a very good student. The only problem he ever has is becoming lazy and not turning in the assignments. 13 years old, wow, it feels like just yesterday that we were holding you in our arms. Now I will just need to fight off the girls.

No comments: