Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Sunday of the living dead!

Today was a funny day in sacrament meeting. It was the annual Primary program. For those that may not know this is the opportunity for the kids to show what they have been learning about for the past year. Just like our stake president said at the end, it is also a good opportunity for us adults to remember what the gospel is about, simplify it a bit. I am a primary teacher so I got to sit up on the stage with all the kids. I enjoyed watching the reactions of each parent as their kid approached the microphone for their part.

I noticed 3 types of reactions that deserve a comment.

#1 was the "sit straight up and smile" parents. These parents sit up and smile as their kid stumbles over the part that you have practiced for all of the last 2 weeks. Of course these parents think that every other parent has now noticed how good or bad your kid did. These parents don't realize that no one else is even listening, they are watching their own cute kids.

#2 was the "mouth the words" parents. Their are lots of these in the audience, In fact they are mostly women. They think that if they pretend saying the part the kid will somehow "get it" through mental telepathy. I think that next year the kids should sit in the audience and each parent can do his or her part. Now that would be funny.

#3 Last but not least are the "another primary program" parents. These are the older than dirt people that do not have kids sitting on the stage. In fact they can be grand parents that are just there for the attendance star. Of course they have to pay some sort of attention because after the meeting they have got to make intelligent comments to the other parents. In the past these parents were the googly dumb ones, but not now. They are too cool for all that.

As the only male in our ward's primary I have got to admit it was sort of fun, but I missed having Jeremy up there to help me. Maybe next year....wait I cannot be shunned to primary for an entire year can I?????

2 comments:

Jenny said...

after the announcement by our stake president of our ward changing stakes, i don't think any of us can count on being in the same calling a year from now. :) but i guess who knows? who knows what changes will be made to our ward, if any, other than being in a different stake?

i love the primary program. i think it is fun to see all the kids up there singing and saying their parts. i'm definitely one of those who is mouthing the words.... not to Michelle's part because I promptly lost her paper and we haven't practiced it and so all I knew was that it was something about hte resurrection. but i was done in the audience mouthing the words to the songs. oh well.

The Wibergs said...

I was one of the googly dumb ones! Totally sat up and took notice when it was my kids' turn! Great--it's good to know you're there to laugh and mock us. For that you deserve another year of primary (that, and I think you rock at it). :P