Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cross Country and Dance Team in one night

Ok, I have done my duty as a parent. Today I experienced Jr High athletics. I am glad the Granite school district allows the junior high kids to participate in after school programs. I can see how this adds expense and also liability to the school. Jill and I have told Chris to be involved at school. Find things to do. I feel this helps him to stay out of trouble. Chris thought about joining the volleyball team, but after a couple of go rounds he decided that was not for him. Some of his friends talked him into trying cross country. I have never been a big track and field fan, but I was excited for him to try. If you know Chris, he is not blessed with speed. This is something he will need to work at. His coach, Mr. Reese, has taken the time to help him and even though he is not the fastest kid he encourages him to try. Our first meet was today at Bonneville Junior High. Chris is on the JV team. I got there and the JV racers were just beginning to finish. At first I could not find Chris, but then I saw him. Still lumbering around the track. He was near the end, but still trying. Chris finished the approximately 2 mile course in just about 15 minutes, and was 68 out 0f 71. I was proud of him for trying. I found it cool that the other kids were cheering for even the last runners and his coach came up a congratulated him. He said first time out not bad, now we know what to work on. Way to go Chris!
Then I grabbedKate and Kolbie and headed over to the high school for the dance team fund raiser. Every year the dance team and cheerleaders raise money by taking a week and teaching the younger kids a dance to do at halftime of the football game. My girls love it. Jill was not sure that Kate would want to do it this year because she is starting to grow out of these things, but when I mentioned it she got so excited. I really wish we could get them in dance. Every time we talk about it it is either too late or we just do not have the funds. My video is very amateurish and it has no sound, but Friday I will get something more professional. BTW, I was just trying to see how this blogger upload works for this.

No comments: