Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Strategy!!!


First off, The Dodgers are currently leading the Padres 5 to 3 in the top of the 5th. The Diamondbacks won earlier today after the rotten Cardinals could not hold the lead. We need to win tonight to keep pace. Kuroda is keeping them in check even though he is not throwing his best game. GO DODGERS!!!!


Some of you may know by reading my regular blog (http://www.sportstats.spaces.live.com/) that we have been completing a remodel at the shop. It has been long and tiring, but we are almost done. Louie, my assistant manager, and I have been given our own little cubby hole so we have a place to complete our work in peace and quiet. Our secretary is the first to greet the customer when they come in the door. If a customer needs an estimate then she will let us know so that we can come up and help. I write about 80% of the estimates, but every once in a while Louie will be there and so it is whoever is available to write. We play Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who has to go.


This has got me to thinking, what is the strategy of Rock, Paper, Scissors? I am a gamer and love to think intensely about what I need to do to win. That is why I like baseball so much. There is lots of time to think. So I am challenged to a game what do I pick first...... Louie always picks PAPER, until just the other day. I think the best choice right off is ROCK, and let me tell you why:

Rock is powerful and beats the scissors, which the other person will pick if they think you will try to pick paper to defeat their rock. Are you following me? Pick Rock, and if the person picks PAPER they win, but most likely they will pick scissors to try to beat your paper to beat their Rock. Now I do not see the benefit of picking scissors first because most people pick Rock. Now scissors is the best pick in round 2 because if you just picked rock then the other guy is going to pick paper to beat you then you have scissors and you win. So now you are up 2 to 0. best of 3 is the usual, but if you did best of five you need one more win to take the title. Get ready because game 3 is the confusing one. Your opponent has picked Rock and scissors so which way will they go, I guess back to Rock therefore you go to paper to win 3 to 0. If your opponent is smart they will take scissors and take you down. Of course you could double cross them and take rock just to see, then you are back to the start and take scissors because they will go with paper... Have you got all of this? It is important to make sure you do not allow your opponent to cheat. so make your choice right at the last moment, but THINK about it. Pick ROCK!


On one of my fast pitch softball road trips we played this game for 3 straight hours. I was ahead by quite a margin, but my head was starting to hurt. It was all that thinking that got me. If you have some time Google Rock Paper Scissors, it will amaze you. Check out this link http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2007/12/10-steps-to-play-rock-paper-scissors.html and yes there is a world championship go to http://www.worldrps.com/


ROCK PAPER SCISSORS ---- Greg

4 comments:

Jill said...

My darling, handsome sexy husband: YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!!! GET A LIFE!!!!!!

The Wibergs said...

Wow. Ya, get a hobby. :P

Jenny said...

i had no idea people, anyone, gave that much thought to rock, paper, scissors. what usually happens when i play is that i do the same thing as my opponent for the first 2 or 3 rounds and there is no winner until i'm already annoyed by the game.

Aly said...

DINAMITE! Growing up we always picked DINAMITE...because it ALWAYS wins!!! We also didn't usually follow the written rules for any of the games we played (funner that way). You can imagine the sign for it (thumbs up). We also had a dinosuar...I think he could eat paper and be king of the rock...